The Veterinary Serum & Vaccine Research Institute formerly called the Veterinary Serum Laboratory, is one of the oldest in the Middle East and the most prestigious in Africa. the Laboratory was established in 1903 in the Abbassia district, East of Cairo. It was affiliated with the Ministry of Health unit in 1914 when it became part of the Veterinary Medicine Department within the Ministry of Agriculture. At that time, the scope of its responsibilities was limited to producing virulent blood and antiserum, previously imported, for protecting cattle against Rinderpest

 

The Laboratory's mission continued to grow - in 1928 vaccines for haemorrhagic septicaemia, fowl plague, and fowl cholera, and products such as mallein, were prepared for the first time. Research continued to develop more sera and vaccines necessary for protecting animal recourses. In the 1934, Rinderpest vaccine was produced, and in 1937, used to immunize cattle. Furthermore, the severe epizootic outbreak of African Horse Sickness in 1944 resulted in an urgent large scale vaccine production program. The following period saw considerable laboratory expansion and new building construction in accordance with the demands of different services.

 

New vaccines such as Newcastle, Rinderpests tissue culture, Foot and Mouth disease, and Rift Valley fever vaccines were produced in 1948, 1963, 1973, and 1978, respectively The Veterinary Serum Laboratory became an independent institute, affiliated with the Agricultural Research Center (ARC) in 1983 and was renamed the Veterinary Serum and Vaccine Research Institute (VSVRI) , because of its gained International recognition and export of its vaccines to Arab, African, and Asian countries in 1980. VSVRI carries out its role of protecting animals and poultry against contagious and infectious diseases through the production of about 50 various biological products, vaccines.